Students will individually draw up a case study report on their own organisation, or an organisation of their choice. The case study will demonstrate an understanding of organisational theory including organisational ethics and ethical practice.
The case study report should include:
• a rationale for the research methodology and organisational theory utilised including comparisons with alternative theory;
• utilisation of appropriate research strategies;
• a critical examination of the role of ethics and ethical practice relevant to the chosen organisation;
• a discussion of the role and legitimacy of the management function and how it is impacted by politics and the social environment;
• incorporating the use of qualitative analysis; and
• incorporating the use of several high-quality external sources.
The report is to be limited to 2000 words, exclusive of formal document sections (i.e. title page, executive summary, table of contents, references list, appendices, etc.), citations, tables and graphs. Students should submit one file through Turnitin.
There are a number of forms the report could take. The exact form of the report will depend on the additional research the student will undertake; students should aim for the demonstration of deep learning, founded on theory through thorough reading of scholarly literature, rather than on getting any aspect of the brief ‘right.’
Students should commence this assignment early, keep regular backups and ensure they submit the correct, final version. Students should use this brief as the instruction set for the assignment requirements. Additionally, the rubric below can be used to describe what unacceptable, functional, proficient, advanced and exceptional assignments might look like according to the criteria in the leftmost column of each row.
As this is a Masters level subject, students are expected to engage with high-quality academic journal articles, using the Torrens University Library. Textbooks, Wikipedia and, in general, anything that can be obtained through an open Google search page are considered supplementary material, unbecoming of a postgraduate.
Students should begin their research on the case study method, looking into the contributions of Robert K Yin.