1. Discuss the factors to consider in choosing a Linux Distribution for use as a company web server.
2. Discuss the difference between the HUP(1) and KILL (9) signal interrupts. What is the effect on a process to receiving these signals?
3. Discuss the different ways you can obtain and install applications on a Linux system.
4. What factors determine the setting of the DHCP default lease time parameter?
5. Describe the differences between a Mail Transport Agent (MTA) and a Mail User Agent (MUA). What protocols relate to each agent and what are example programs for each agent?
6. Discuss the difference between serious system administration and running your desktop computer. (sample exam q1)
7. Discuss two advantages and two disadvantages of using PERL or Python instead of Bash to write scripts for system administration. (sample exam q2)
8. Discuss five important recommendations for smooth backup and restore. (sample exam q3)
9. Discuss the design of a logging strategy. (sample exam q4)
10. What factors determine the setting of the DNS parameter TTL? (sample exam q5)
11. Discuss two ways of providing file-sharing network services in a mixed operating system environment. Consider small-office LANs and larger enterprise networks. (sample exam q6)
12. Discuss four principles to consider before attempting troubleshooting when there is a network problem. (sample exam q7)
13. What are two advantages of in-line (pre-queue) filtering of e-mail and post-queue filtering? (sample exam q8)
14. Discuss three "rules of thumb" for effective system security. (sample exam q9)
15. You are working for a small Internet Service Provider (ISP). The govemment requires than transaction logs which store meta data such as which web sites (but not the contents) that customers visit but stored for several years. How would you store this data so that when the appropriate authorities require all the transactions for a customer it can be supplied quickly and cheaply? (sample exam q10)
16. When implementing an Apache/httpd service in Linux server, what are major steps that necessitate to carry out before, during and after the web server service is online? Briefly describe these major steps.
17. Describe the important of HTTP over SSL (https) when implementing an e-commerce website with current cyber security challenge and consumer's information consideration.
18. You are a member at a large IT support team, one of your co-workers is going to leave for lunch tomorrow and never return, but you don't know which staff member not retum. What critical procedures might be affected, and how prepared is your organisation to cover for the missing staff members? What documentation would have to exist in order to avoid a service disruption?
19. Describe in detail each of the following types of DNS records: A: records PTR: records MX: records CNAME: records
20. Discuss how the three communication channels that are always available to processes can be used to form composite pipelines.
21. Discuss configuration changes and techniques you can use to harden a Linux system against security attacks and vulnerabilities?
22. Whether a Linux server is installed on-premise or hosted on a cloud provider. Describe three tasks that might need to be run periodically on a Linux system. How can CRON be used to schedule the execution of these tasks?
23. Discuss how a child process is spawned from a parent process in Linux. In particular, describe the role of PID, PPID, UID's and describe the use of system calls to create a new process.
24. Describe in detail the components (protocol, hostname, port, director, filename) of the following URL. http://www.itc514.edu.au:467/images/graph1.jpg
25. You administer a Linux server that seems to be running slowly. Command line operations take significantly longer to run that you usually expect. Describe the steps you would undertake and the commands you would use to diagnose your system.
26. Discuss the factors you should consider when choosing a Linux distribution for use as a company web server.
27. What is the purpose of the letc/passwd' and the '/etc/shadow' files? How are they related and what are the differences between them?
28. Discuss the applications and techniques you would use to troubleshoot a network problem on a Linux system.
29. DNS servers can be classified as either Primary (master), Secondary (slave) or Caching Only. Describe the differences between these types of DNS servers?
30. Traditional access control in Linux systems relied on restricting access to run certain commands or applications only as root. Describe the shortcomings of an access control model that relies on using the root account to run privileged commands and restricted applications.
31. Describe the items that should be considered in defining standards in Service Level Agreements (SLA's).