This section describes the assessment tasks. There are two components, a business essay and a creative video. You are required to write an essay and then explain the assay’s main arguments in a short creative video.
Business essay, 30% of the total marks for the unit
Business models are less durable than they used to be as technological advances in areas such as artificial intelligence, computing power, communication networks and battery technologies offers both threats and opportunities for existing businesses and their business models.
Specifically, your essay is required to:
- Clearly and succinctly define the terms ‘business model’ and ‘disruption’ based on a short literature review.
- Analyse the opportunities and threats caused by the advances in smart-connected-products (Porter & Heppelmann, 2014, 2015) to the existing business model for the following businesses:
- Use the business model framework by Osterwalder and Pigneur (2010) to illustrate your initial findings.
- Expand your analysis to address only two (2) of the following business model perspectives: business models as value proposition, business models as a set of capabilities and resources, business models as a system of processes, business models as a profit formula (Chesbrough 2010; Johnson, Christensen, & Kagermann, 2008).
- Conclude by briefly discussing the significance of your findings to the business and its business model and the future of the business.
You should include at least 5 references and no more than 20 references in your essay. All sources must be highly credible and fully referenced using the APA referencing style.