• Task 1- Background information - Write a description of the dataset and project, and its importance for the organization. Discuss the main benefits of using visual analytics to explore big data. In this you should include a justification for using the visualizations that you will use and how they have been successful in other similar projects. This discussion should be suitable for a general audience. Information must come from at least 6 appropriate sources (2 per student) be appropriately referenced. [2 to 3 pages]
• Task 2 – Reporting / Dashboards - For your project, perform the relevant data analysis tasks by answering the guided questions provided (see Appendix for questions and dataset) and, identify the visualization you need to develop.
Note: remove any missing data points from your visualizations where possible/suitable
• Task 3 – Additional Visualizations - In addition to the guided questions, it is expected that each student will provide at least two other visualizations of the data (i.e. for a group of 3 students this is 6 extra visualizations). These additional visualizations will be judged in terms of quality of the findings and complexity of analysis.
• Task 4 – Justification -Justify why these visualizations are chosen in Task 2 and 3. Note: To ensure that you discuss this task properly, you must include visual samples of the reports you produce (i.e. the screenshots of the BI report/dashboard must be presented and explained in the written report; use ‘Snipping tool’), and also include any assumptions that you may have made about the analysis in your Task 2 (i.e. the report to the operational team of the company).[1 to 2 pages]
• Task 5 – Discussion of findings – using the visualizations created discuss the findings from the data set. In this discussion you should explain what each visualization shows. Then summarize the main findings. [3 to 4 pages]
• Task 6 – Executive Summary – summary of the data analysis including a brief introduction, methods used and a list of the key findings [1 page only]
• Task 7 - The Reflection (Individual Task) - each team member is expected to write a brief reflection about this Report project challenges, learning and contribution. [1 to 2 pages]
Each member of the group is to submit an electronic copy of the completed group assignment and their own individual reflection via Moodle.
The report will be approximately 8 to 12 pages in length (not counting cover page and references). The report will include the following in the order provided below:
• A cover page including the names and student id of all team members
• Table of Contents
• Table of Figures / Tables
• Executive Summary
• The body of the report including reports, insights, justifications and visuals
• Discussion of findings
All references used in your report must be from peer-reviewed sources. Include any and all sources of information including any person(s)n you interviewed for this project.
Your report should be formatted according to the “Assignment Layout and Appearance Guidelines” and your references presented using the APA referencing style; information is available:
A passing grade will be awarded to assignments adequately addressing all assessment criteria. Higher grades require better quality and more effort. For example, a minimum is set on the wider reading required. A student reading vastly more than this minimum will be better prepared to discuss the issues in depth and consequently their report is likely to be of a higher quality. So before submitting, please read through the assessment criteria very carefully.