Please research the following and provide responses to assist in
understanding your role as a ‘Diverse Manager’:
1. In your own words, define Diversity.
2. Review the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 and summarise the objective of the Act.
3. Further define the legislation and write a brief summary of the following:
a. Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986;
b. Racial Discrimination Act 1975;
c. Disability Discrimination Act 1992;
d. Sex Discrimination Act 1984;
e. Age Discrimination Act 2004;
f. Brodie’s Law.
4. Managing Staff - using this knowledge how could this assist a manager in the following areas:
a. Recruit and select staff to reflect the needs of the business (refer to best practice guidelines for recruitment and selection);
b. Strategies to recruit a diverse team;
c. Strategies to effectively lead a diverse workplace;
d. Effective strategies to manage tensions within the work team;
e. To initiate and encourage open communication;
f. Create an inclusive and respectful work culture;
g. What provisions for special consideration/adjustments on the basis of carer/parental responsibilities, religious needs, study leave or any other needs you identify when developing a roster?
h. Identify and implement training and coaching where needed to manage diversity within the work team?
i. Define the outcomes of a ‘positive role model’ when managing a diverse team.
5. Customer Needs – how could this knowledge assist in determining the needs and expectations of customers in areas of:
a. Cross –Cultural communication;
b. Communication protocols;
c. Cultural requirements;
d. Eating Habits
e. Dietary requirements;
f. Provisions to access premises;
g. Modifications to facilitate special needs;
6. Business Needs - what insightful ideas can come from your diverse staff in relation to:
a. Enhancing products and Service;
b. Menu planning;
c. Gaining insight in order to attract and cater to cultural celebrations.
7. Diversity as a Marketing Strategy - how can a manager capture ideas and information from the diversity in the workplace:
a. To gain a competitive edge?
b. Attract specific demographic(s).
c. How can this be promoted to enhance business image and reputation?
This section requires you to be honest and self- reflective. What insight about your own inherent personal qualities, perception of others, beliefs and attitudes could dictate your behaviour towards others? What are some of the ways you would like to modify your approach to work to become a better role model and a ‘diversity aware manager’?
Parts A and B and all key headings must be addressed.
Please include above information in a report format considering all key points
– word count must be a minimum of 1500 words. This is an individual assignment.
Research - Current workplace, newspapers, magazines or any other media to assist with the development of this assessment.
Referencing – Please ensure all your written work has been referenced using ‘APA 6th style’. This is to include definitions and the ACT. Refer to referencing guide on mywai.angliss.edu.au. Written work will not be accepted unless you have referenced your material.
Submission Date - Due Session 6 – ensure your assessment is uploaded to moodle by end of this business day, 5:00pm