Your boss, the Director of Communications at Company XYZ, has been invited to speak at a local conference on the topic ‘Factors impacting on communication in today’s workplace’. She has asked you to prepare an executive summary highlighting three key impacts on communication.
Please follow these guidelines to complete the assessment:
1. Engage in research to find three articles (academic journal and/or industry journal) related to current impacts on communication in the workplace. Use search engines such as Google Scholar and the SCU library website to do your research.
2. After carefully reading the three articles, identify three key points that impact on communication in the workplace to form the structure for the body of your work.
3. The balance between your thoughts and words expressed in your voice and those of other authors is important. Support for each point must come from at least TWO of your THREE sources to support your claims, arguments and ideas.
For each point you are expected to incorporate another author’s ideas or information into your work through:
i. direct quotation (please note: no long quotes of more than 30 words)
ii. ii. paraphrase
iii. iii. summary.
The citation of sources is a two-part process:
1. in the body of your paper: cite the authors in the text of your paper with a signal phrase or place the citation in parentheses following the paraphrase or summary.
2. in a list of references at the end of your paper containing the full bibliographic details of all the sources you have cited in your work.
Find the right model citation (journal, book, web source).
The Reference list must be on a separate page. It is headed by the centred title References.
Please note: Entries in the reference list must be in agreement to the in-text citations.
4. You will need to use SCU Harvard style to document your sources. For further information please see:
5. Each point requires a heading which should be clearly, logically and accurately labelled since headings reveal the organisation of the paper and permit quick reference to specific information. They also make the paper easy to read.
6. Write the Executive Summary using the memo format in a plain serif font (e.g. Times New Roman). Suggested font sizes are 12 for the text and 14 for the headings. Double or 1. 5 space. Put page numbers in line with the right margin at the bottom of each page.
7. Refer to the Marking Criteria Guide and Marking Rubric located under Assessment Tasks and Submissions.
8. Submit Assessment 1 to Turnitin via the Blackboard site no later than the due date: Monday 25th March 9.00am (QLD time).