Assignment 1 (25%). Description and analysis of a hacking incident. Length :3000 words +/- 10%
For this assignment you will be required to write an essay describing and analyzing a hacking incident. In your essay you will be required to address the following questions:
• How did the hacking incident happen and what were the consequences?
• what vulnerabilities (technical or human related) have allowed the incident to happen?
• What techniques (technical or social engineering) have allowed the hacker(s) to hack into the system?
• How did the organization respond?
• What are the conclusions that could be drawn based on this case?
CRITERIA #1: DESCRIPTION (25%)
• The hacking incident is described in details and the author has used multiple and trustworthy sources to describe the incident and the motivations behind it.
• The essay discusses the significance of the attack and the lessons about cyber security that could be learned from this attack.
CRITERIA #2: VULNERABILITIES (25%)
• The vulnerabilities both technical and human related that were exploited by the threat are summarized in details.
• If the media coverage of the incident provides partial and limited explanations of the vulnerabilities, the author is expected to use information from the book and research papers to add depth to the explanations.
For example, if the coverage of the incident reported that the security team has ignored warning before the attack, the author is expected to provide an explanation of the factors that couse security teams to ignore warning/alerts(for example, alert fatigue).
If a weak from of encryption was used, the author is expected to explain what encryption is and what differentiates strong encryption from weak encryption.
CRITERIA #3: TECHNIQUES (25%)
The techniques used by the hackers both technical and human related to hack into the system are summarised and explained by the author.
If the media coverage does not provide detailed explanations of the techniques used, the author is expected to use information from the book and research papers to add depth to the explanations.
For example, if the DOS(Denial of Service) technique was used, the author is expected to explain fundamental concepts of network security and how a DOS attack happens.
If malware was used, the author is expected to explain what a malware is and how malwares get installed on users' devices without their consent.
CRITERIA #4: TECHNIQUES (25%)
• The essay discusses how the hacked organization and/or individuals have responded to the attack.
• The essay uses the book and/or research papers on incident response to analyze and evaluate the way the organization responded to the attack and the steps it took to recover the losses in both tangible and intangible assets.