If your professor has asked you to write a college essay in APA format, at first you might see it as a daunting task, particularly if you are habituated to utilizing other styles like MLA or Chicago.
When you are about to start your essay, get yourself familiar with some of the basic tips.
Following are some useful tips that provide some guidelines that will assist you in writing your essay and it will be formatted in a proper way.
Before moving forward, let us first understand what APA format exactly is?
The chances are high that you have to write at least one essay during the semester no matter whether you are studying in an introductory or graduate- level class. In all the cases, there is a need to write an essay in APA format, the official style of publication of the American Psychological Association.
Education, psychology, and other social sciences are some range of disciplines where APA format is used. The elements of the presentation of the essay are dictated by this format which includes margins, spacing, and how the entire writing will be structured.
By some people, it is merely seen as something you can just gloss over. On the other hand, there are some publication editors and instructors who follow strict guidelines when they are formatting their essays. Adhering to the APA format helps the readers of your essay to understand what actually you want to convey and what they can expect from your writing. Also, your essay will not lose critical points just because of minor mistakes related to the formatting.
This article provides you with some useful tips on how you can present your college essay in APA format.
- Each of the sentences should be double-spaced.
- At the top, bottom, right, and left sides of your essay there should be uniform margins of one- inch.
- At the top left of your essay, there should be a running head on every page. Running head refers to the condensed form of the title of your essay. These are often the first few words and including spaces, it should not be above 50 characters.
- In the right top corner of every page, include a page number.
- There should be a title page of your essay that is to be written in APA format. In the title page, you have to mention the title of your essay, your name, and school affiliation. Sometimes your professor may require some extra information like the title of the course, date of submission, and the name of the instructor.
- As the title of your essay outlines what your paper is all about, it should be clear and concise.
- The title of your essay can be extended to two lines but should not be more than 12 words.
- A reference list should also be included in your essay. Reference list refers to the list of the sources that you have cited while writing your essay. It should be located at the end of your essay. All the references should be double-spaced and should be listed alphabetically by using the last name of the author.
- In each paragraph of your essay, the first word should be indented one- half an
- According to the APA format, it is suggested to use Times New Roman with font size 12.
- Your essay should include a title of the page, an abstract, an introduction, body of the essay, conclusion, and section of references. Though, it may vary according to the instructions given by your professor.
Some additional tips
If you want to ensure that you have cited all the sources in a proper way and have presented every piece of information by taking into account the rules of APA formatting, you can follow numerous things in order to make the process of writing easier and effective.
The first thing that you should start from is to choose a good topic. Try to choose that topic that is specific enough and on which you can do the required research effectively. Make sure that you don’t choose something that is way too specific as by doing so, you will not be able to find enough to write about. If you choose something too general, you will be overwhelmed with information and resources.
The second step you need to take is to start your research as soon as possible. Start by looking for some books and related articles. Once you think that you are somewhat familiar with the subject matter, move forward with creating an initial list of articles, essays, books, and studies that can prove to be useful for you while writing the essay.
While you are crafting your essay, make sure that you keep a list of the sources that you have cited. Each and every source that you have utilized in your essay should be included in the reference section. Also, cite any source that you have included in the reference section in the body of your essay.
Once you are done with preparing a rough draft of your essay, take out some time to look over, analysis, craft the final draft.
After that, make sure that your writing is organized and consistent and supported with sources. Also, carefully look for grammatical errors, typos, and other related issues with APA format.
At first, writing a college essay in APA format can be intimidating but if you are aware of some basic rules of APA style of writing, it can help you to a great extent. However, do not forget to follow the instructions given by your professor.