Concepts of Internet confidentiality and security
Internet has become an essential part of our daily lives and work. One of the greatest benefits of the internet is that it helps to get abundant information and explore a variety of information regarding any subject. Search engines like Google provide the desired information in an effective manner instantly. In addition to this, the internet also enables to conduct effective communication with people across the world. People use internet to access their financial records, tax returns and do shopping online etc. Although, the internet provides such benefits, it opens doors to various threats and risks also. Malware, computer viruses, a botnet etc. are some security threats to online information. Such security threats allow an internet user to download information onto a personal computer with malicious intent. The concept of confidentiality of internet information is different from that of information privacy. Confidentiality is associated with the information or data of an individual (Kelly & McKenzie, 2002). Internet security depends on specific resources as well as standards in order to protect the data which is sent through the internet. This includes various types of encryption like PGP-Pretty Good Privacy. Other aspects of the secure web setup include firewalls that help in blocking the unwanted traffic entering into the internet. Internet security is becoming a top priority for both government as well as businesses. Internet security helps in protecting the financial details in a proper manner.
Confidentiality of internet information
Measures which are undertaken for ensuring confidentiality are designed in order to prevent the sensitive information from reaching unauthorized person (O'Neill, 2014). Confidentiality is one of the 5 pillars of the IA-Information Assurance, where other four pillars include integrity, authentication, non-repudiation, and availability. In Information Assurance, confidentiality is enforced in a classification system and the best ways to ensure the confidentiality of internet information are discussed below:
- An authentication process can be used for ensuring the confidentiality of the internet information. In this process, an authorized user is assigned a confidential user ID as well as passwords. Biometrics can also be used for providing authentication of internet information to the user (Naughton, 2017).
- Role-based security methods can also be employed for ensuring user authorization or viewer authorization. For example, data access levels might be assigned only to the specified department staff.
- Access controls can be used for ensuring that user actions remain within their specified roles. For example, if a user is authorized to read any information, but not authorized to write data, then defined system controls might be integrated.
Security of internet information
Various activities of our daily lives are dependent on the internet, including different forms of communication, entertainment, financial services, shopping, and many others. Internet is indeed secure and private, but there are various numbers of serious security threats and risks that hinder the security of the user (Zandbergen, 2018). Internet security is related to the branch of computer security which is further related not only to the internet but also to the security of the browser. The main objective of internet security is to establish rules as well as measures which can be used against the attacks over the internet. In certain cases, the internet represents an insecure channel used to exchange information that leads to a high risk of fraud and intrusion such as an online virus, phishing, worms, Trojan and many more (Doddrell, 1995).
For ensuring the security of the online information following approaches or methods can be used:
Antivirus: Antivirus software, as well as internet security programs, help in protecting the programmable device from attack by eliminating the virus after proper detection.
Password managers: A password manager refers to a software application that allows the user to store as well as organize passwords. Password managers help to store the password in the encrypted format and a master password is required to encrypt the original password.
Security suits: Security suits contain suit of antivirus, firewalls, anti-spyware etc. that offer portable storage, theft protection, cloud anti-spam, private internet browsing, device safety check.
- Doddrell, G. (1995). Information security and the Internet. Information Management & Computer Security, 3(4), 15-19. doi: 10.1108/09685229510123629
- Kelly, G., & McKenzie, B. (2002). Security, privacy, and confidentiality issues on the Internet. Journal Of Medical Internet Research, 4(2), e12. doi: 10.2196/jmir.4.2.e12
- O'Neill, M. (2014). Information security is even more vital for the internet of things era. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/media-network/media-network-blog/2014/may/27/information-security-internet-things
- Zandbergen, P. (2018). What is Internet Security? - Privacy, Protection & Essentials - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com. Retrieved from https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-internet-security-privacy-protection-essentials.html
- Naughton, J. (2017). Internet security: 10 ways to keep your personal data safe from online snoopers. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/16/10-ways-keep-personal-data-safe