Dynamic leadership can be defined as the competence and skills of the mentors which help them to influence and guide the people while leading them. They are competent enough to read and react to the different individuals and situations individually. According to Chris Stricklin, “The true measure of a leader is not just measured by success of their organization, but by the measure of leaders they influence and develop to follow in their footsteps.”
Leadership Journey can be defined as a journey which make the individuals dynamic leaders, competent individuals and efficient managers. It is the journey which helps the individuals to create stronger relationships, clarify the purpose, define a common vision, build trust and align the values and principles of engagement among the team members. It helps to inculcate the authentic and dynamic leadership among the individuals within a period of time. It also reflects the values and purpose of the character of a leader.
Benefits of leadership journey
Following are the professional and personal benefits of leadership journey: -
1. Under this journey, individuals refresh their sense of purpose, values and vison. It helps them to focus on their work and understand the priorities. It also helps them to avoid and adjust unhelpful habits and behaviors.
2. Under this journey, the teams learn to build the trust and communicate in the more effective manner. It also makes them more competent to align the critical business priorities. It allows the team members to engage with each other and to develop as sense of personal accountability for their behavior, words and actions
3. Under this journey, organizations bring new clarity to the teams they manage. It results into the increased focus, driver and energy in the organizational culture. Overall, the organizations can provide the improved culture to their teams.
Principles to be followed by the individuals to become dynamic leaders and to inculcate the dynamic leadership
There are number of principles those need be followed by individuals to become dynamic leaders and to inculcate the dynamic leadership during their leadership journey. Some of the principles are mentioned as below: -
1. Positive Change: - To become a dynamic leader, the positive change must be the focus of the individuals during their leadership journey. They must assess themselves periodically and always follow the practices to improve their weaknesses in the context of positive leadership.
2. Keep the fresh opinion: - The problems are often faced by the leaders to handle for the team and organizational success. Thus, to be dynamic leader, the individuals must possess the fresh opinions while dealing with the concurrent problems in the improved manner. It let them not be stagnant for the during their leadership journey and help them to face the positive change and continuous success.
3. Promote the mutual interest: - During the leadership journey, the individuals must consider the mutual interest and believe in the shared success. They should use the phrases like ‘we’, ‘our’ or ‘us’ while communicating with the subordinates rather than using ‘I, me, or mine’. It reflects that leaders are focused for the mutual interest and shared value.
4. Effectiveness and efficiency: - The leadership goal of the individuals or the organizations should efficiency and effectiveness for meeting the organizational goal. It makes them more dynamic for leading the organizational goal.
5. Take the leadership as the continuous process: - During the leadership journey, the leaders must possess the nature of the continuous improvement. The leaders must not be with the nature to get the benefits of their position but always look for the improvement areas for their daily actions. Such leaders learn and grow daily through conversation, interaction, meeting and experience.
6. Manage conflicts by making right choices: - The leaders are often asked to make the decisions on the incomplete or the variable information. It leads the conflicts among the leaders to make the right decision. To be a dynamic leader, the leaders must determine his ability, analyze the situation, deliberate the situation, evaluate the risks and make the decision with the mutual understanding of the team members.
Self-reflection on the leadership journey
For self-reflection, the leader might define his role, positive experiences and negative experiences during his journey within an organization. It also reflects the strengths and weaknesses of the leader to be a dynamic leader as per the defined principles and help him to plan how to overcome the weaknesses.