Role of ICT In Hospitality Industry
Hospitality industry is one of the steadily growing and largest economic sectors in the developing as well as developed nations in the history of hotels, motels, and restaurants. The hospitality industry is a broad category within the service industry which include lodging, theme parks, event planning, cruise line, transportation, and a number of additional fields with the tourism industry. A unit of hospitality includes a hotel, restaurant, or an amusement park comprising multiple groups such as direct operations and facility maintenance.
ICT, information and communication technology
Information and communication technology is an extensional term for IT which stresses the role of the integration of telecommunications and role of unified communications along with the enterprise, middleware, software, and audiovisual systems. This further enables the user to access, transmit as well as manipulate the information. The term information and communication technology used to refer the convergence of the telephonic networks and audiovisual with the computer networks the link system and single cabling (Nwakanma, 2017).
ICT in the hospitality industry
ICT has had a tremendous impact on all the industries and specific business processes. The information and communication technology in the hospitality industry is helpful in order to go online as well as access the services like booking, travel, hotel arrangement etc. The hospitality industry is at the forefront of the whole tourism industry and is especially sensitive to ever increasing competitive pressure and growing need of effective operational controls.
Impact of ICT on the hospitality industry
- Reservation systems: With the use of information and communication technology in the hospitality sector, any of the hotel room can be booked easily with the online availability of booking facility. It allows the customers to easily access all the services and enables individuals to make online reservations with comparable prices.
- In-room technology: In today’s scenario, the traveler carries a number of electronic devices, and reliable wireless connectivity allows the internet connectivity at the top of the list of requirements of customers. The web applications of the hotel, restaurant can be accessed by the guests for the purpose of accessing the room service options. Along with this, with the use of e-dining internet sites and interactive services nearby, the transportations, restaurants and shopping stops can be easily found with the help of information and communication technology (Nwakanma, 2017).
- Mobile communication: To keep aware the customers about any changes in the hospitality business, the use of mobile communication is considered as effective. The hospitality sectors can send delay notices, sponsor location-based advertising, and offer deals to their customers with mobile On the basis of the different type of business, business reach can be increased with text messaging, emails, and GPS tagging.
Benefits of ICT’s application in the hospitality industry
- ICT enables two-way communication between the consumers and hotel industry in order to grow the impact of hotel sales and promotion (Jaremen, 2016).
- Information and communication technology allow recognizing the profile of consumer and other personalized services. The multimedia message is also more attractive to the customers.
- The reduction of operating cost for the business, rapid speed of transactions, and convenience for customers are other benefits related to ICT in the hospitality
- The use of information technology eliminates the barriers of geographical distances created by distributing proper data, processing, and accumulating.
- The use of ICT also results in the significant cut on the transaction costs for the hospitality sector.
- ICT offers a wide range of solutions that influence the increased level of efficiency in the economic processes in the sales and marketing area.
- The involvement of new information and communication technologies provide better advantage of resources at disposal of the hotel industry and fast development also recognizes the need for making the investment.
- The use of ICT also supports the efficient functionality of hospitality processes by speeding up the management upgrades and procedures efficiently which further increase the quality of economic operations performed in the hospitality
- The adoption of ICT in the hospitality industry supports the creation of processes with the use of dynamic packaging tool. This provides the consumers an opportunity of designing tourist products in accordance with individual
Jaremen, D. (2016). Advantages from ICTS usage in hotel industry. Czech Journal Of Social Sciences, Business And Economics, 5(3), 6-17. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316446822_Advantages_from_ICTS_usage_in_hotel_industry
Nwakanma. (2017). Factors Affecting the Adoption of ICT in the Hospitality Industry in Imo State. JCSI International Journal Of Computer Science. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319407131_Factors_Affecting_the_Adoption_of_ICT_in_the_Hospitality_Industry_in_Imo_State