Problem-Solving and Decision-Making Strategies
Problem-solving and decision-making strategies
Problem-solving and decision making are two most important skills that are important for an organization to perform business operations and achieve the business goals. Problem-solving includes decision making which is essential for leadership and management. There are different processes and techniques which improves the quality of decisions. To enhance business productivity, it is important for an organization to improve their quality of decisions. Problem-solving and decision making are basically interlinked with each other because both these techniques require creativity in developing and identifying the options. Problem-solving basically helps to identify the problems, causes, and opportunities of selecting the best solution. All these issues can easily be monitored in an effective manner. Brainstorming technique is one of the most useful methods to increase creativity among all the developing options. SWOT analysis and PERT analysis are two different techniques that help in assessing the strength of an organization. This strategy also helps in the market potential and market sustainability. It is important for the user to require skills for good decision making. Some of the good decision-making skills are clarity of judgment, identification of options, creative development, effective implementation, firmness of decisions etc. To make the best decisions, organizations should use a methodical approach which will lead to success. This approach includes different steps which must be followed by the organization. It includes establishing a context of success, properly frame the issue, generate alternatives, evaluation of alternatives, selecting the best option (Kamau, 2016).
Advantages of using problem-solving and decision-making processes
Some of the advantages of decision making are:
- Increase understanding and knowledge: Decision-making strategies helps the organizations to enhance their deep understanding of each concept. These strategies ensure that everyone has the power to listen.
- Multiple perspectives: Decision making helps the individual to take actions based on their unique knowledge. It helps the people in evaluating the issues with different perspective. It further determines the correct solution with which business scope can easily be identified.
- Commitment growth for teams: With the help of the decision-making process, all the team members of an organization can easily make the correct choice by developing a sense of pride.
Disadvantages of group decision making
Some of the disadvantages of conducting group discussions are added below:
- Collaboration can be time intensive: Making some decisions in a group can be time-consuming. Organizations may face problem in gathering and scheduling the activities to perform the business tasks.
- Options can be manipulated: It becomes easy to manipulate and get influenced by the other team members. Therefore, having access to the unbiased options is not always possible.
Steps to map problem-solving
There are basically five different steps by following which problems can easily be resolved. It includes
- Problem identification
- Explore the alternatives
- Alternative selection
- Implementation and evaluation of solutions.
By following all the above steps, all the problems that are faced in an organization can easily be resolved.
Steps to map decision making
Before taking any decision, team members should follow all the stages to take good quality decisions as it will increase the business growth of an organization (Dumitrascu, 2019). Good decisions will also help the organizations to achieve their business objectives effectively. Some of the stages include:
- Frame the decisions
- Identify address needs and alternatives
- Evaluate and determine the act
- Manage all the consequences
- Frame the related decisions
Need for effective decision making
Decision making is an important aspect which must be considered by the organizations to perform their business strategies in an effective manner. One of the strategic decision which directly affects the organizational success is the increase and decrease in the size of the organizational workforce. By managing all the business decisions and taking effective decisions, an organization can easily improve their future strategies to expand their business. Before taking decisions, it is important for the organization to avoid all the unwanted consequences. It ensures that good decisions lead the organization to take the right decision. There are some of the tips which help the organization to take right decisions. It includes:
- Organizations should clarify whether the decision which they are taking is their own decision or someone’s else. All the team members of an organization should know about the deadline of the decision.
- Organizations should carefully consider the outcomes of the decisions which they are taking to achieve their business objectives.
- Organizations should implement and execute all the decisions so that they need not spend more time guessing it.
- By taking effective decisions, the everyday performance of the system can easily be evaluated (Algie & Foster, 1987).
- Algie, J., & Foster, W. (1987). Effective Decision Making. International Journal Of Manpower, 8(2), 20-28. doi: 10.1108/eb045114
- Dumitrascu, S. (2019). Problem-solving and Decision-making Strategies. Retrieved from https://www.skillshare.com/classes/Problem-solving-and-Decision-making-Strategies/1180203120
- Kamau, A. (2016). What are the advantages and disadvantages of decision making?. Retrieved from https://specialties.bayt.com/en/specialties/q/299703/what-are-the-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-decision-making/