Introduction to Local Area Network Interconnection
In the current generation, the number of local area networks (LANs) is rapidly increasing and in upcoming years, this trend is expected to continue. All the networks created under the local area network are different from each other in terms of transmission speed, protocols and standards followed. A major issue in the local area network is a type of connection needed to connect the different networks. In this article, the issues which are possible to occur will be discussed and the LANs are created to understand the local area network interconnection.
Following are the issues which are faced during the local area network interconnection: -
Due to the availability of different devices and resources, each department or the organization has different requirements for developing the network. Following issues arise during the network development: -
- Type of hardware needed: -
This is a major issue because there are different hardware devices present in the market developed by different vendors. In the hardware devices, the main focus is on the flexibility, means the devices it should fulfill the future requirements of the organization. In the device selection, only those devices are selected which can be easily configured along with the maintenance.
- Baseband or broadband: -
Another issue present in creating the local area network is the type of transmission type needed for communication. The selection of transmission type should be selected according to the requirement of the organization.
- The need for Software: -
To connect the devices with each other, there is a requirement of different devices drivers and software. A wrong selection in the device drivers may affect the current business operation of any company.
- Transmission Management Technique: -
The selected devices should support the transmission management technique which will enable the administrator to install security features. The transmission management technique will help in monitoring the network flow between the devices and the firewalls rules can be also monitored.
- Protocols: -
It is important to study the impact of different protocols on hardware devices so that the administrator is able to add preventions rules to protect the network from any shutdown.
Additional Considerations while creating a local area network: -
- Compatibility: -
In the market, the hardware devices products are available developed by different vendors. All the hardware devices developed by different vendors have a chance that they follow a different standard for communication. This will result, complexity in the network connection due to which the user will not able to understand the communication process between the devices.
- Government Regulations: -
There are some government regulations which should be followed for developing the network for any organization. Most of the networks are created according to rules and regulations designed or created by the “department of defense” because the standards are compatible with all other devices.
Types of topologies used in local area network interconnection: -
- Bus Topology: - In this topology, all the devices are connected by using a single cable. The major advantage of using bus topology is that the devices transmit data in a single direction.
- Ring Topology: - In this network, all the devices are connected with each other in a ring and each node has at least two neighbors. The major advantage of using ring topology is that the devices can transfer data in a sequential manner i.e. bit by bit.
- Star Topology: - All the devices are connected to a single hub by using a single cable. In this topology, each device has their own dedicated link for the communication.
- Mesh Topology: - In this topology, each node in one device is connected with every node of different devices. Mesh has n(n-1)/2 channels which have total n links.
There are more topologies like a hybrid, tree through which the local area network can be developed.
The need for interconnection: -
The local area network interconnection is used for connecting the computers in an organization to another computer. Sometimes, the links are important because the organization has two different local area network which are necessary to link which will enable the devices at one branch to share information with another device present in another branch. A network created with the same type will only be required to transfer data frames whereas the network with different protocols is present and converted first before sending the data frames to a different network (Kaur & Heena, 2018). Common devices used in setting up local area network are: -
àRepeaters which are used to refresh a signal.
àHubs which provide multiple ports for connecting the different devices.
àBridges are used to link local area networks having the same type.
àSwitches are used to linking various elements when the network is divided into different parts.
àGateways are used for connecting different types based local area network.
Advantages of LAN Interconnection: -
- In the local area network, more devices can be interconnected with the network and the network could be expanded by adding more LANs. The devices present in the LAN is able to communicate with another LAN through the communication medium.
- The LAN interconnection configuration enables communication between the two different LAN having different physical transmission type i.e. broadband or baseband.
- The devices utilizing resources i.e. message format/packet are able to communicate with another network.
- Devices configured on one LAN could be addressed by other devices configured in different LAN.
Kaur, R., & Heena. (2018). Comparative Analysis of different Area Network Types. International Journal for Research In Applied Science & Engineering Technology, 6(3).