Examples of Business Successfully Engaged in Sustainable Business
In support of sustainable business practices, there is an increase in education on the significance of corporate social responsibility.
Sustainability is all about the increase infamous green approaches to business practices. The term sustainability is now increasingly used and now has transformed into a catchphrase for green business practices and the same has been merged into corporate strategies.
Sustainability is defined by EPA as, “Everything that we need for our survival and well-being depends, either directly or indirectly, on our natural environment. Sustainability creates and maintains the conditions under which humans and nature can exist in productive harmony, that permit fulfilling the social, economic, and other requirements of present and future generations. Sustainability is important to make sure that we have and will continue to have the water, materials, and other resources to protect human health and our environment.”
Businesses all over the world these days are becoming more engaged in sustainability. This article contains some examples of some active companies.
Following are some examples from South Africa, Canada, and the United Kingdom:
Georgina Gough, UWE, Bristol, UK
- In sustainable banking, Triodos Banking is considered a global pioneer. It utilizes the power of finance in order to support the projects that give benefit to the planet and people. They are known as sustainable service providers. They have a broad range of innovative products related to banking. The main objective is to encourage and lead public debate on issues like quality of life, sustainable banking, and development of the environment.
- An award-winning restaurant and a cookery school were founded named as Bordeaux Quay. The restaurant is known as a sustainable enterprise. Their main concentration is on purchasing seasonal, organic, local, and ethically sourced ingredients. It aimed at minimizing the consumption of agrichemicals and fossil fuels. The building of the restaurant also symbolizes their concentration on sustainability as they have a repurposed docks warehouse and the restaurant is utilizing as many original materials as possible.
- A national organization which was founded in Bristol named as Resource Futures is engaged in improving the practice of utilization of resources. The organization also supports the move to a circular economy.
- A trade organization in Southwest England named as Low Carbon SW is known for supporting the development of the business of regional low carbon sector.
- A highly-respected consultancy in Bristol named as Eunomia is known for its love for environment and sustainability.
Aunnie Patton Power, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- An operator of mobile money that is known for aiding the transfers of money in Zambia, Malawi, and Mozambique is named as Zoona. The company is planning to develop additional markets as well. In Zoona booths, thousands of young women are employed as tellers. The company is reducing the cost to send, save, and borrow money in Africa.
- In South Africa, All Life Insurance is a company which provides affordable life insurance as well as disability cover for people who are diabetic and HIV- positive. After taking a segment of the population, insurers saw that as a liability and then develop a model of business that provides value for individuals and also assists them to enhance their lives. Their main aim was to work closely and diligently with their patients in order to make sure that they have longer life expectancies and healthy lifestyles. They have been so successful and prosperous that now they are expanding their operations in the UK as well.
- Western Cape Government established a special purpose vehicle in order to support investors and businesses in the green economy. The vehicle was named as Green Cape. It eradicated the barriers to growth and establishment. The efforts of local, provincial, and national government were also supported in order to build a resilient green economy. Green Cape, that is a Quasi-governmental entity is known for facilitating deals, growth, and opportunities in the green space in the Western Cape.