Equate Yourself with The Services of the Operating System in Easy Words
The interface between a computer user and the hardware of the computer performs all the necessary tasks. An operating system controls all kinds of programs and their execution. In this article, we will talk about the services which the operating system provides to both the users and the plans.
An operating system creates an environment for the execution of the programs. Also, the task of providing the services for the implementation of the program conveniently is one of the responsibilities of the system. The other services which the operating system lends to the computer system are as follows-
- Execution of the programs
- Serve the input/output operations of the process
- Manipulation of the file system
- Detection of errors
- Allocation of resources
EXECUTION OF PROGRAMS
There are numerous activities which the operating system handles. It begins with the user programs to the system programs. For instance, name servers, printer spooler, file server etc. The OS takes every task as a process in the encapsulated form.
By process, we mean that there should be the complete execution of the context, i.e. the execution of code, manipulative data, resources for the use of the operating system and the registers. This procedure can also be given the term- process management. There are several actions which OS needs to perform while managing the program. The list of such activities is as follows-
- It is responsible for loading a program into the memory
- OS is also accountable for the execution of the program
- Handling the application and its implementation is its duty
- It provides a mechanism for various tasks such as
- Handling the deadlock
- Communication of the process
- Process synchronisation
INPUT/OUTPUT OPERATIONS OF THE PROCESS
The input and output subsystem of the operating system is composed of the various I/O devices as well as the respective driver software. OS handles the communication between the user and the drivers of the device.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY OPERATIONS OF THE INPUT AND OUTPUT?
In layman language, the operations of the input and the output are the reading and the writing the file and the specific I/O device.
In addition to all this, providing access to the required device at the right time is one of the functions or the services which the OS offers.
MANIPULATION OF THE FILE SYSTEM
What do you mean by a file?
A file is the collection of the related information. The secondary storage is the host of the stored files on the computer. Yes, it has a long-term purpose. If you are thinking about the examples of the secondary storage, then read them.
- Magnetic disk
- Magnetic tape
- CD, DVD and the other optical disk drives
Every instance of the secondary storage has its exclusive set of properties. The elements of the list are speed, capacity, data access methods and the data transfer rate.
ORGANIZATION OF THE FILE SYSTEM
There are directories for the proper maintenance of the files. They help in the easy navigation and the usage of the multiple data. The components of such directories are the files and the other directions. As we have discussed the significant activities of the operating system under the process management task, same, we will do in the file system manipulation.
Some of the tasks which OS performs here in the file management are the-
- Reads and writes the program in the file
- It acts as the interface provider for many. For instance, it provides the platform to the user to create and delete directories, helps in the creation of the backup of the file system. Also, the in the task of the production and the deletion of the files, OS provides an interface.
- Permits the program to operate on the file.
- It permits the read-only, read-write task to be performed on the file.
The distributed systems are the processes of the collection of the processors. In this case, they do not share the resources which any other process. Memory, peripheral devices, and the clock are the names of the resources. OS handles and manages the communication process between all of them. It sets the communication lines in the network on which the multiple processes communicate with each other.
Under this service where OS creates a platform for the communication of the different process, it also handles the following-
- Routing and the connection of the strategies
- Take care of the problems of contention and the security
- Manages the implementation of the communication service and their models. The memories which are either shared or are a result of the message passing technique.
- The two processes which the OS handles are required for the transfer of the data between them.
DETECTION OF ERRORS
Error handling is a service which can be needed anytime. The errors can occur anywhere, be it in the CPU or the I/O devices. The hardware of the memory can also be affected by the bugs and the errors. The operating system is the one who handles the errors. It performs the following activities concerning error handling:
- OS becomes constant in checking for possible errors
- It takes actions for the assurance of the correct and consistent computing.
MANAGEMENT OF THE RESOURCES
OS provides this service in both the multi-user and multi-tasking environment. Operating System allocates CPU cycles and the file storage to each user and the job to be done. Following are the two activities which an operating system performs concerning the resource management:
- It acts as a manager for all kinds of resources. OS uses the schedulers for this task.
- OS uses the CPU scheduling techniques for the better utilization of CPU.
A computer system recognises multiple users and the concurrent execution of the numerous processes. There is the protection for every activity. Here, by protection, we refer to the way to control or the mechanism to access of programs, processes or users to the resources which are defined by the computer system.
Yeah, now the turn to see the activities of an operating system concerning protection:
- Operating System makes sure that the access to system resources is controlled
- OS also ensures the external input and output devices to be protected from the invalid access attempts.
- The duty of providing authentication features for each user utilizing the password of the operating system.
These were a few words on the services which the operating system proffers. The next blog would be on the properties and the processes of the operating system. Keep reading and comprehend the basics of OS in simple words.