1st case overview
First case is about Early Launch of a system. In this case, a discussion is made between the project manager and Program director. They are making discussion about delivering client’s software without encryption so that they can start work on next project which is really important for the organization in terms of financial benefits. The decision to deliver incomplete and non-quality software to the client is completely unethical.
2nd case overview
Second case study relies on the discussion of project manager and junior developer. The junior develop take a call from client who ask about additional changes in his project that were not mentioned prior and junior manager get agreed without consulting with his senior managers and even without reviewing current work status. The act performed by junior developer is completely unethical in this case.
3rd case overview
Third case is based on the discussion held between project manager and senior developer about overseeing client’s code for testing due to the unavailability of testers in the company. Senior developer also suggests about delivering client’s project in some modules to provide them testing in the final version of the system. The decision of senior developer is completely unethical as it is affecting the confidentiality of client’s code.
4th case overview
In this last case, a discussion is made regarding the one-day prior delivery of client’s project which is not possible as the software is untested. The project manager is enforcing the developer to make the system live on Monday but Ken clearly denies his decision. The act of Ken will decide the ethical considerations of this case.
Australian computer society code of professional conduct
• The primary of the public interest: This code of ethics is about placing the interest of public above those of personal, behavioural or sectional interests. The individuals should endeavour to preserve the security, integrity, utility and continuity of ICT.
• The enhancement of Quality of Life: This code of ethics is about the strive to enhance the quality of life of those who potentially harm/ affected by an individual’s act or work.
• Honesty: This code of ethics states that a person should be honest towards his representation skills, services, knowledge and products. Moreover, they should be loyal towards their profession.
• Competence: An individual should work competently and diligently for his stakeholders according to this code of ethics.
• Professional development: An individual is always itself responsible for the enhancement of his own professional development that of his staff members.
• Professionalism: According to this professional code of conduct, an individual should take appropriate action against team members who engage in behaviours contrary to this code.
ACS code of ethical conduct will be taken as the base for judging these cases. ACS will help in analysing the individual who is possessing unethical act or decision for the sake of his own benefits. This will help in deciding that what decision could be taken to avoid the occurrence of unethical situations.